This article is intended to explain the different settings available for a cellular connection on your Ewon device.
An Ewon COSY that supports cellular connection (3G,4G) OR a Flexy with a modem extension card.
IN THIS ARTICLE
When you set up the Internet modem connection of your Ewon (using the wizard or the eCatcher USB set up) , you have the choice of two types of connections :
- The triggered connection (Wake-up SMS)
- The permanent connection (Maintain connection)
TRIGGERED CONNECTION (Wake-up SMS)
- Using your phone, send an SMS containing "Talk2M_Connect" to the number of your Ewon' SIM card.
- Select your Ewon in eCatcher and click the "Wake up" button.
More info on the Wake-up feature : How to wake-up a cellular-based Ewon?
PERMANENT CONNECTION (Maintain connection)
This option will keep the Ewon connected to the Internet through the provider's network, so it'll always stay ONLINE.
This permanent connection can be adapted to your needs by several parameters.
These can all be found and modified in Setup>System>Storage>Tabular edition>Edit COM cfg.
In the case of the Flexy, you can also find them in
- The Idle Time before hanging up (ClIdle) parameter defines the amount of time after which eWON
will hang up if no data transfer occurs on the modem link (any type of PPP traffic) during this
If you use a VPN connection, due to the keepalive exchange between the VPN client and
the VPN server, this parameter can be let to default settings.
If you do not use a VPN connection, then increase the value of this parameter to make sure
that the line will not be dropped due to communication inactivation.
- The Max outgoing call duration defines the maximum amount of time of the outgoing call.
When this amount of time is reached, then the eWON stops the modem communication.
So for permanent connection, increase this amount of time. You can also set this parameter
to 0, which will deactivate the time limit for the connection. Some GPRS operators do not like that a device stays connected for a too long time period. So in some cases, it may be better to configure the eWON to disconnect and reconnect from time to time on the GPRS network.
- The Call budget management (CallAlloc) allows you to manage the costs of the outgoing connection.
By default eWON is configured to allow 24 hours of outgoing connection during one week
(168 hours). Put 0 into the «Allocated budget» field to deactivate the call budget management.