This article describes how to reduce the number of GB used when the VPN traffic is too high.
The VPN traffic is too high, how can I reduce the number of GB used?
Use the Connection Log Report to identify the origin of the excess traffic.
This report gives all the traffic/data usage details per Ewon device and all the connections.
This document is useful to identify at a glance which devices are most often connected or staying connected and probably creating unnecessarily / accidentally large VPN traffic.
You can find the Connection Log Report in the Account section, then under the Report button.
How can I identify the root cause of the excessive VPN traffic?
- Long eCatcher connections can be checked on the Connections section of the report.
Reminder: it is important to close the connection to your device when troubleshooting investigation is completed (eCatcher / Disconnect).
- Long M2Web/eCatcher mobile connections can also be checked on the Connections section of the report.
M2Web is a monitoring tool and is not intended for permanent connection. Live KPI’s monitoring also induces traffic consumption.
- High traffic usage on a specific device can be checked in the Device usage section of the Connection Log report:
- Do you use video cameras? Depending on the resolution, the traffic generated by video cameras can be excessive. Make sure you don't leave a video stream open for too long, and verify the camera compression configuration.
- Verify that the PLC discovery feature is disabled. This feature generates significant traffic, therefore it is important to disable the PLC discovery feature after usage (after completing the intervention).
To disable the PLC discovery (on Cosy or Flexy):
- connect to your Ewon device and open the user interface
- go to Setup > System> Storage > Tabular edition> Edit COM cfg
- in the search field, type “broadcast”
- look at the parameter named “BroadcastForwarder”
- set the parameter value to 0
- click on save
- click on “reboot” to reboot your Ewon device
Find more information on the PLC discovery feature.